Saturday, April 4, 2015

Weeks #12 & #13 Mixed Media Pocket Scrapbooking Layout!

Hey guys! I pray that you are having a wonderful Easter weekend so far. Today, I will not only be sharing my weeks #12 & #13 mixed media style pocket scrapbooking layout, I will also be sharing a little bit of my process and journal card design strategies.


Weeks #12 & #13 Mixed Media 
Pocket Scrapbooking Layout


The Prep Work


This past weekend, my husband & I were able to get away for some much needed rest & relaxation. I knew that I wanted to take my pocket scrapbooking goodies with me for some creative fun while we were away. To lighten my load, I decided to prep my pocket page protectors with patterned scrapbooking paper before we left. This way, all I needed to do was add photos & embellish.


Mixed Media Pocket 
Scrapbooking Foundation

While we were away, I was able to complete most of my Week #12 layout (left side). After we returned, I printed all of my photos from our weekend getaway for my Week #13 layout (right side).


Week # 13 Printed Photos 
& Ephemera

I decided to include a Project Life Design I page protector to give me some additional real estate in this week's layout. This insert has six, 4x4 pockets. With this additional space, I had a total of 22 pockets to work with. Next, I organized all of my photos & ephemera in the pockets chronologically "by event".



Photo & Ephemera Arrangement 
in the Page Protectors

My Mixed Media Design Style


Let's start with the 4x6 journal cards. I want my layouts to have a "layered" appearance. Therefore, I always mount my 4x6 photos on colored card stock or piece of patterned paper. I use a standard stapler to attach all of the yummy layers together. The nice thing about using a stapler is that you can easily change to color of your staples to coordinate with your layouts. The hardware gives my layouts a mixed media, industrial look.



Next, I distress the edges of all the paper with black archival ink or Faber-Castell Big Brush Pitt Pen & the edges of my photos with black StazOn ink.




 Below, I outlined each layer with a black Uni-ball Signo pen to make everything "POP".




To finish this 4x6 journal card, I simply added some messy journaling, date stamps, and a wood sticker from the coordinating We R Memory Keepers "It Factor" paper collection. I repeat this design process for all of my 4x6 journal cards.




My design process for my 3x4 journal cards is quick & easy. First, my 3x4 pics are all "unmounted". Second, I staple my photo to the patterned scrapbooking paper, distress & outline the edges of the paper and photos using the same steps above. Third, I add my date stamps and final embellishments. I repeated this same process for all of my 3x4 journal cards.




Here is how everything came together:







 










Week #12 (Left Side)

Week #13 (Right Side)







 

Hidden Journaling











Insert (front)

Insert (back)

Weeks #12 & #13 Album View


Happy Easter to you & your family,

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I love it. Is the pineapple a stamp? Happy Easter and I hope you and your husband had a nice get-away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! Happy belated Easter to you and your family, as well. Thanks for the love & encouragement. The pineapple is actually a wood sticker that came with the We R Memory Keeper collection that I used in this layout. I loved all the pineapples, too! SMOOCHES!

      Delete
  2. Hi Shelly,

    I enjoyed meeting, talking and sharing with you this weekend. Your blog is cool! I really like the aspects of using mixed media and your choice of colors. This takes scrapbooking to a new level. Keep doin' what you do! Us 'creatives' must stick together :)

    Mae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mae!!! Not sure why I didn't see this sooner. I am sorry!!! YES, it was SO nice to meet you during the Easter production. Can you please give me your blog info again? I wanna check out your wonderful writing. Hope to see you again soon! SMOOCHES!!! xoxo

      Delete