Friday, February 13, 2015

Guest Designer for PL Junkies ~ My Week #6 Mixed Media Pocket Scrapbooking Layout!

Hey everyone! Jane Ettia Jones, with PL (Project Life) Junkies, recently invited me to be a Guest Designer for her newly formed design team. Are you kidding me??? DOUBLE WOW! Her THRIVING Facebook group is an on-line community where pocket scrapbooking 'LOVERS' with diverse design styles can connect, learn, & share ideas. I am HUMBLED & HONORED for such an incredible opportunity. THANK YOU, Jane! ;D

I have been intrigued by mixed media art for the past two years. It blows my mind that a blank piece of paper can turn into a work of art with a few simple strokes of paint. There is so much beauty in the imperfections. My pocket scrapbooking albums have become sort of a mixed media 'playground' of sorts. Not only am I able to capture & document  everyday moments that tell 'my story', but I am also able to sharpen my artistic skills in a functional way.  This truly is a "WIN-WIN" situation for me.

So, in an effort to "bash" some of my scrapbooking stash, I decided to use supplies that I had 'on hand' to create my Week #6 mixed media style pocket scrapbooking layout. The Valentine's Day color palette I selected couples "traditional" tones of red & pink with "non-traditional" blue, gold, & black. 


Week #6 Mixed Media Pocket Scrapbooking Layout

One of my super sweet Instagram friends, Tina Shoaga created this AMAZING mixed media journal card. It was included in some 'happy mail' she sent to me a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't wait to use this 'beauty' in my pocket scrapbooking layout. The "Be You" sentiment speaks to me on so many levels. I decided not to include 'Week #6' on this title card because I wanted all of Tina's yummy layers & fabulous texture to take center stage. Her work is SIMPLY BREATHTAKING!

My Week #6 Mixed Media Title Card
Created by
Tina Shoaga

Here are close-ups of my individual journal cards:










MDF wood embellishments (wood veneer) are one of my favorite pocket scrapbooking embellishments because of their versatility. You can leave them plain or alter them with ink or paint. Try creating your very own mixed media wood embellishments using these easy steps:

First, grab your favorite wood pieces & acrylic paint from your stash. Painters, Liquitex,and Montana paint markers are great for this quick DIY project.

"Hearts-Small" by 
Unique Laser Designs
Second, add two coats of paint to the wood pieces. Make sure the first coat is completely dry before adding the second coat. Grab some black ink (I prefer Jet Black StazOn ink) and a background stamp of your choice. 


Painted Wood Embellishments

Third, stamp your background on the wooden bits.

DIY Mixed Media Wood Embellishments
Finally, adhere your mixed media wood embellishments to your journal card using Uhu or hot glue.
Super Bowl Journal Card with
My DIY Mixed Media
Wood Embellishment
Week #6 Mixed Media Pocket Scrapbooking Layout
(Left Side)

Week #6 Mixed Media Pocket Scrapbooking Layout
(Right Side)
Please feel free to comment below or email me directly with any questions you may have. Don't forget to check out the PL Junkies Blog for TONS more inspiration. Thanks for stopping by today!

Much love to you,

4 comments:

  1. Loving your week 6 pages. Fabulous as ever, and I adore your wooden embellishments. Thank you for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lesley! THANK YOU for your super kind comments. I REALLY appreciate it! MANY blessings to you, my dear! ;D

      Delete
  2. Just love how you incorporate mixed media with your scrapbooking. Thanks for the tips on the wood veneers. I never thought of stamping my painted pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gemiel! Happy Valentine's Day!!! Oh yeah! Stamping wood veener is super easy and gives your pieces a grungy, finished look. Let me know if you give it a test drive. Have a WONDERFUL weekend!!!

      Delete