Monday, January 12, 2015

Mixed Media Tutorial: Week #3 Filofax Background Layout & Documented Life Project Challenge Week #2!

After a SUPER busy week of projects and deadlines, I was looking forward to playing in my planner/journal this past weekend. I used the Documented Life Project art challenge & journal prompt to jumpstart my creative process. 

Week #2
Art Challenge: Gesso
Journal Prompt: "The beginning is always today" - Mary Shelley

With this week's gesso art challenge, I thought it would be a outstanding opportunity to experiment with texture & layers. The journal prompt: "The beginning is always today" reminds me of the promise God makes to us in Lamentations 3:22-23: "Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning. Great is your faithfulness!" No matter how many times I fall short or get it wrong, I can always start each day "ANEW" with the Lord! OH, WHAT A WONDERFUL PROMISE! 

Here is how I interpreted the art challenge & journal prompt during my playtime this weekend:


Week #3 Filofax Background Layout
with my Week #2 DLP Challenge

My step-by-step mixed media process:  


Used Map Paper & Painted
Under Paper as my Canvas

Created these Prints Using Dylusions Spray Inks
and this Circular Stencil

Created these Large Circle Shapes Using
Dylusions Spray Inks & this
American Crafts Polka Dot Stencil

Added Texture Using Gesso & this
Dylusions Flower Stencil

Doodled Around the Stenciled 
Flowers With a Small 
Black Faber-Castell
Pitt Pen

Randomly Stamped Dylusions Doodle Flowers
on the Background with Ranger Archival Ink

Randomly Added Painters Pen Ink &
Blended with My Fingers

Lightly Coated the Background
with White Golden Fluid Paint

Used a Liquidtex Paint Marker
on this Circular Stencil
and Randomly Stamped 

on the Background

Repeated Previous Step with a
Different Color Liquidtex Paint Marker

Stamped Rae Missigman's (Paperbag Studios)
Triangular Shapes Stamp using
a Liquidtex Painter Marker

Used Golden Acrylic Paint 
on the Circular Stencil used in the Previous Steps
to Randomly Stamp on the Background

Lightly Add a Second Coat of 
White Golden Fluid Paint to the Background

Stamped Rae Missigman's (Paperbag Studio)
Flower Stamp on Painted Under Paper, Cut
the Shapes, & Randomly Glued to the
Background with Uhu Glue

Used Black Ranger Archival Ink to Add
 these Stampers Anonymous Art
Sentiments to the Background

Used this Freckled Fawn Washi Tape
to Create Days of the Week Border Lines

Added a Piece of Recollections Washi Tape
the Front of the Tip-in for Added Color

Outlined all of the Washi Tape with an
Inktense Pencil and Blended
with a Water Pen

Created these Date Stickers by:
1.Stamping the Elle's Studio
Numbers on Grid Paper;
2. Punching them out with an
American Crafts Knock Outs Punch;
3. Doodling Around &
Distressing the Edges with
Faber-Castell Pitt Pens;
4. Filling in the numbers
with a Painters Paint Pen.

Adhered a Partial Dollie with
Uhu Glue to the Front of the Tip-in

Messy Painted on my Non-Stick Craft Mat
with Golden Acrylic Paint & Painter Paint Pens

Used the Dollie to Pick Up the Paint
off the Non-Stick Craft Mat

Wrote the Scripture on the Front of my Tip-in
with an Artist Pencil and Traced with a
Small Brush Faber-Castell Pitt Pen

Added Thickers Alpha Stickers and
Painted with Golden Acrylic Paint &
a Painters Paint Pen

Used Black Archival Ink to Stamp
Studio L2E's "Days of the Week"
(Labes+Tabs Sentiments Stamp Set)
on Grid Washi Tape

Here is the final layout:
Left Side

Right Side

Tip-In (Front)

Tip-In (Back) for Journaling
Print is Dylusions Spray Ink
Coupled with Traci Bautista's
"Love Collage" Stencil



Planner Accessories This Week
"Social Media" Stamp is a
Studio L2E Creative Team Exclusive Stamp
I pray this tutorial was helpful!

Have a wonderful week!

5 comments:

  1. So so awesome! Love the step out tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rae! SUPER honored that you stopped by my blog & that you like how I used your flower stamp. YOU MADE MY DAY!
    THANK YOU so very much. BLESSINGS to you & the fam! SMOOCHES, my friend! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly, your tutorial has really inspired me today. I've been "collecting" mixed media supplies forever and though I may use a supply or two on my scrapbook pages, I've never created any true mixed media art. I'm doing a Glory Art Scripture Challenge this year and decided to use a 4x6 format for my work. I think I'll try some mixed media for my first project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning, Gemiel!! Whoo-hoo! So glad you are inspired to break out your mixed media supplies and PLAY!!! That Glory Art Challenge sound like a WONDERFUL start. I would love to see your work, if you are willing to share! BLESSINGS to you & THANKS for the love!!! XOXO

      Delete
  4. Shelley, I'll post it to my blog when I get it done. http://gemscraps.blogspot.com/ It's way out of my comfort zone so we'll see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete