Saturday, December 6, 2014

Documenting My December 2014 ~ My Journaling Process!

The month of December is here. Yippy! Not only am I excited about capturing & documenting all of our 2014 Christmas memories, more importantly, I am thrilled that my family gets to reflect and celebrate the birth of our Lord & Savior. 

In my previous "Documenting My December 2014 ~ My Storage & Organization" post, I shared how I am storing all of my goodies for easy access. Today, I will show you how I am setting up my main pocket scrapbooking album to reflect the Christmas season & walk you through a little bit of my journaling process.

Let me just start by saying, "The timing could not be more perfect." SERIOUSLY!!! I JUST completed another album, so I will be starting a brand new 12x12 pocket scrapbooking album for the month of December. AWESOME! Even though I am not creating a separate mini album to document my December memories this year, it is still imperative that my main album be as festive & inviting as possible. With this in mind, I decided to alter (decorate) the standard "page lifter" (designed to protect your pages from damage) that is found in the front of every brand new Project Life album. I am quite pleased with the results. My "page lifter" is not only functional, it also serves as the "title sheet" for the month of December. 
December 2014 Title Sheet
Here's how it all came together:
Started with a Project Life
 page lifter.
Pulled two Color Magic 4x6
journal cards from my supplies.
Cut the journal cards down
to fit the page lifter &
sprayed with red Dylusions
ink spray.
Used Thickers for my title
and adhered the journal cards
to the page lifter with Uhu glue.
Added woodgrain washi tape &
a piece of burlap for texture.
Painted the burlap with a mix
of white & citron green acrylic paint.
Added "Joy To The World" sentiment
from the Pink Paislee
"Merry & Bright collection. 
Added "The Lord Has Come"
sentiment with my vintage
Dymo label tape embosser.
Added "Seasons Greetings"
& The Chavis Family.
My December 2014 Title Card (COMPLETE)
I also prepped my foundation journal cards for December days 1 through 7 (Week #49). My design strategy is to use black, red, white, lime green, silver, & gold as primary colors and include "pops" of aqua & pink to offset the traditional tones of my Christmas color palette.

As I begin my journaling process, I want to ensure that the scrapbooking paper that I have chosen for my foundation is inviting, not too "matchy-matchy", and a great mix of patterns and color from my selected pallette. 
Foundation for
December Days 1 through 7
I prefer for my albums to be as interactive as possible. For this reason, I added a Heidi Swapp 4x6 flip journal card to create interest (black & white with scalloped edges). You will also notice that I have mounted the flip card on top of another 4x6 journal. Here's the reason why: I have learned over the past year that I prefer my journal cards to have "square" edges rather that "rounded" edges. This may seem insignificant, but this one small detail can have a major impact on how you feel about your layouts. If you haven't really considered this design element, I highly encourage you to take the time to experiment with square vs. rounded journal card edges in your pocket scrapbooking layouts. Visually decide which style you prefer more, and begin to consistently incorporate that choice in your layouts. I promise that you will be more satisfied with your layouts once you think through this small, but very important detail in your journaling process. Remember, there is no right or wrong way. Everyone is different. It's all a matter of preference. Just do YOU and the joy will follow! ;D

Okay, in my next "Documenting My December 2014" post, I will take you step-by-step through my journal card design process, so stay tuned!

Much love,
Shelley




No comments:

Post a Comment