Thursday, October 23, 2014

"How I Roll" ~ "Pocket Scrapbooking Kit Organization & Storage"!

I completed my very first blog series. YAY! "Put it in the Pocket" ~ Pocket Scrapbooking 101 was all about "THE BASICS". Now, I am SUPER THRILLED about sharing MY personal strategies & approach to memory making. It's "HOW I ROLL"!

Last week in my "Put it in the Pocket" ~ Pocket Scrapbooking 101-8 "The Beauty of Scrapbooking Kit Clubs", I featured my October Gossamer Blue Main Scrapbook kit & the benefits of receiving a different collection of pocket scrapbooking goodies each month. Today, I want to share how I break down my Gossamer Blue kits for easy organization & storage.

But, before we jump in, I want to pass along some wisdom I have gained over the past year and a half during my pocket scrapbooking journey. I pray that these 'lessons learned' will help you to better understand my creative decision making processes & also help prevent you from falling into some of the 'scrappy traps' that so easily ensnare many of us. 

Collecting mass amounts of scrapbooking supplies is not a personal goal of mine. Although I am not perfect, I strive to be a good steward in my love for creativity. This is why I make it my strategy, EVERY MONTH, to use ALL of the contents from my monthly scrapbooking kitsI can honestly say that I come close every month. This one simple strategy helps me:
  • Keep a Low Inventory ~ I spend less time managing & organizing my supplies and more time "CREATING", which is where I find the most joy.
  • Save Money $$$$ ~ Keeps me from overbuying, buying just because something is 'on sale', buying dupes, and/or buying with no plan of ever using the supplies.
  • Know My Stash ~ I believe my layouts are better & I use more of my stash when I actually remember items I have 'on hand' that coordinate perfectly with my current kit.
  • Have Peace of Mind ~ The larger my stash is, the more stress & pressure I experience until I actually use what I already have.
With this strategy in mind, it is CRUCIAL that I store my monthly scrapbooking kits in a way that allows me to 1) visualize all of the items regularly & 2) access the kit contents easily.

About a month ago, I found these super cute metal storage containers with cork lining at Target. I use them to house all of my Gossamer Blue kit goodies each month.

Metal Storage Containers from Target
Each Gossamer Blue Main Scrapbook kit arrives in a protective bag inside of the USPS Priority Shipping box.
October Gossamer Blue Main Scrapbook Kit
First, I start by cutting all of my 12x12 patterned scrapbooking paper & colored cardstock down to 4x6 journal cards with my Fiskars paper trimmer. 
October Gossamer Blue
12x12 Patterned Scrapbooking Paper &
Colored Cardstock
All the 12x12 Scrapbooking Paper & Cardstock
Cut into 4x6 Journal Cards
Second, I take all of the kit embellishments out of the packaging and place them in the bottom of the smaller metal organizer.
Flair Badges, Puffy Stickers and Wood Veener
Stored Inside the Smaller Organizer
I place packages of ephemera inside my beautiful Anthropologie latte bowls for an easy rummage & grab.
Charcoal Anthropologie Bowl with
Teresa Collins Ephemera
Third, I place all of my printable digital die cut sheets, alphas, sticker sheets & rub ons at the bottom of the larger organizer.
Large Organizer with the Digicuts,
Sticker Sheet, Alphas, & Rub Ons
Finally, I place the smaller organizer, bowl of ephemera, 4x6 journal cards, & stamp set inside the larger organizer. And, VIOLA'!!! Everything is neatly organized for maximum utilization.
My Organized
October Gossamer Blue
Main Scrapbook Kit
Happy scrapping everyone! See ya next time!


XOXO, Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment