Thursday, September 18, 2014

"Put it in the Pocket" ~ Pocket Scrapbooking 101-4 "Choosing a Pocket Scrapbooking Album"!

Just a quick side note before we talk about pocket scrapbooking albums:
The beauty of pocket scrapbooking is that YOU get to create a journal/album that is UNIQUE and reflects YOUR personal style! THERE ARE NO RULES....and there is certainly NO right or wrong way to document your life. If you simply stay true to YOUR lifestyle, preferences, goals, financial considerations, etc, your pocket scrapbooking journey will be a BLAST! When you begin to add rules, compare your work with others, or simply try to do what everyone else is doing, life will get VERY complicated and you may be tempted to throw in the pocket scrapbooking towel. I encourage you to take risks, try different things, figure out your likes & dislikes. Take as much time as you need to discover YOUR personal comfort zone. Honestly, it has taken about a year for me to find my natural flow. I experience the MOST JOY in my journaling journey when I am naturally operating, documenting & creating out of the "REAL ME"!!!

Okay, with that being said, let's chat a little bit about albums. They are SO cool, right? I know! So many awesome colors, designs, sizes, brands....how in the world does a girl decide?

Today, I just want to simply share some things you may want to take in consideration before making your album selections. In my previous post, Pocket Scrapbooking 101-2 "Motivation for Documenting your Life", I stressed the importance of having an "INTERNAL" reason for wanting to document your life in the first place. When making pocket scrapbooking purchasing decisions, you ALWAYS want to keep this 'goal' or 'prize' in mind. Trust me, this will simplify your decision making processes & keep you from the dreaded "buyer's remorse".

As I stated before, I plan to pass my albums along to my kids as a written legacy of God's work in my life. For this reason, I choose black & white binder albums. They are "classic" in style & will stand the test of time.
 My 12 x 12 Becky Higgins Project Life 
pocket scrapbooking albums
Here are three things you may want to consider before purchasing a pocket scrapbooking album:

1.  First, how often do you want to complete your layouts? Most people document weekly, monthly, or by event.

2.  Second, choose a binder album size that meets your needs. There are 12 x 12, 6 × 8, and other smaller albums. If you are planning to use the common "photo a day strategy", you may want to try "weekly" layouts using a 12 x 12 album with a double page protector layout each week.
Example: 12 x 12 Becky Higgins Project Life
Cinnamon Cloth Binder Album
    Example: Weekly 12 x 12 Double Pocket Protector Layout
    You will have plenty of space for your title card, at least 7 pics, journaling & any other ephemera you would like to preserve.

    Should you decide to take fewer photos each week, you may want to journal "weekly" in a 12 x 12 album with a single page protector layout. 
    Example: Weekly 12 x 12 Single Pocket Protector Layout
    Another alternative is to use a 6 x 8 or even smaller album to document your life.
    Example: 6 x 8 Blue Project Life
    Faux Leather Album
    3. Third, select an album that reflects your goals & personal style. Becky Higgins Project Life, We R Memory Keepers, and Studio Calico are 3 of the top pocket scrapbooking album manufacturers. They offer a wide variety of colors, designs, & album materials (designer, faux leather, or cloth) to choose from. Each company offers a slightly different product, so I would encourage you to do a little research to determine which album best suits your needs.

    Finally, 12 x 12 Project Life designer albums usually retail for $19.99. Local arts & craft retailers like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or Joann, regularly have pocket scrapbooking albums on sale for 40 or even 50% off the retail purchase price. If they are not on sale, you can still use a store coupon or your mobile app for a discounted price. 

    I hope this information helps. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me directly or leave a comment below. 

    Up next in this series: "Put it in the Pocket" ~ Pocket Scrapbooking 101-5 "The 411 on Pocket Page Protectors"!

    Enjoy the rest of your day!
    Much love, Shelley

    2 comments:

    1. Another great post. I haven't finalized my album decision yet but I think I'm going to go with something with rings. I was thinking of just using a regular scrapbook that I have on hand but then I remembered you added an insert one week and thought "what if I want to do that? It won't be so easy."

      ReplyDelete
    2. THANKS, Carolyn! I AGREE! I started out doing 'my version' of Project Life in an journal with a hardbound cover. I had to 'limit' the amount of ephemera that I could actually include because my journal was getting too chunky (not that there is such a thing as "TOO CHUNKY"). LOL! You KNOW I LOVE THE CHUNKINESS OF IT ALL. However, you will definitely have more freedom & flexibility in a 3-ring binder album. I LOVE that you are taking the time to think things through before you get started. WAY TO GO, girlie!!! ROCK ON! :D

      ReplyDelete