Friday, September 5, 2014

"Put it in the Pocket" ~ Pocket Scrapbooking 101-2 "Motivation to Document Your Life"!

To Pocket Scrapbook or Not to Pocket Scrapbook? That is the Question!

Let's face it, we all have plenty of responsibilities in our daily lives that require our attention. Who needs one more thing? Right??? It is so very easy to get caught up in the mundane activities of life and totally miss the fact that we should enjoy the lives that we have been given.

I have found that documenting my life forces me to slow down, be "present' in each moment, and actually take the time to actually "SEE" the beauty that each day brings. It is so exciting to witness God's goodness & record those incredible moments in my family journal/album each week. It's even more motivating to know that my kids & generations to come will have a written legacy of my story to strengthen their faith.Total WIN~WIN!

Whether you are a seasoned Project Lifer, a pocket scrapbooking newbie, or you are still on the fence about the idea of putting your story on paper, I think it is IMPERATIVE that you fully take the time to consider your motivation ("the prize") for wanting to document your life in the first place. I would encourage you to write your motivation down on paper, journal it in your planner, or even post a sticky note in your workspace. Motivation for documenting 'my life' comes straight out of the Bible. It is a scripture found in a small book in the Old Testament entitled, Habakkuk. This scripture states: 

And then God answered: "Write this. Write what you see. Write it out in big block letters so that it can be read on the run. 
This vision-message is a witness pointing to what's coming. 
It aches for the coming-
it can hardly wait! And it doesn't lie. 
If it seems slow in coming, wait. It's on its way. 
It will come right on time. 
(Habakkuk 2:2-3 The Message) 

As you can see in the pictures below, I included this biblical motivation in one of my pocket scrapbooking layouts a little over a year ago. I always find strength to continue my journaling journey whenever I read it.

(2013 Week 35 - The Left Side)

(2013 Week 35 - The Right Side)

(2013 Week 35 - The Complete Layout)
Choosing to document your life does take time. Here is the good news: YOU get to decide how much time you want to invest in memory making. Trust me, life WILL HAPPEN! You might fall behind in your layouts and out of frustration, you may want to shut the whole party down, throw in the towel, and just give up when seasons in your life change or circumstances just get unbearable. In times like this, cling to "the prize' and remember the reason why you chose to document your life in first place. You will never regret making the decision to record the story of your life. I speak from experience, the benefits & rewards are plentiful! 

Alright, let's do this!!! Up next in my "Put it in the Pocket" ~ Pocket Scrapbooking 101-3 series, "Basic Supplies You Need to Get Started"!

6 comments:

  1. I needed to read this today. First let me say how gorgeous your layout is………….I love everything about it! (TFS) Your message hit home with me. Life has been so busy for me and after my move several months ago I never got back into creating my PL pages and have since stopped. But you just reminded me why I started to begin with. My reason is the same as yours, I want my son to have a tangible record that documented our daily lives, and I want him to be able to look back at all these precious moments in time with his future family. Thank you so much for that reminder today. I needed to read this today and be reminded of why I started this project to begin with. You are an awesome source of inspiration Shelley and as always, thank you so much for sharing your gift and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kele, THANK YOU for taking time out of your day to leave a comment for me. I know you are busy and it blesses me to know that you have rediscovered your desire & motivation to continue documenting your life. Can't wait to see what the Lord will do in. MANY blessings to you, girlie! ♡

      Delete
  2. Great post Shelley. I don't have (and won't have) kids to pass on things like these, but I have a bad memory and scraping helps me to not allow those special moments to fade away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carolyn! I love it that everyone has a different reason for journaling their lives. I am THRILLED that you decided to take the leap. Great things are in store for you, my friend! Smooches!

      Delete
  3. This is such an awesome message!! Not only about the journaling, but the message of our Lord. This is truly what I needed to read right now, it's dead on with what I was thinking about last night...confirmation. I've said to you in the past that you encourage me to start a project life journal, but I didn't know where to start. Now reading this, I know exactly where and how I want to start. Thank you so much for sharing your story, your art, your blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kisha, thank you for taking the time to leave me such a kind note. It blesses me so much. I am confident that the Lord has great things in store for you! Much love! Shelley :D

      Delete